<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:content="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
	<channel>
		<title><![CDATA[My Northern Wisconsin - Price County History]]></title>
		<link>https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/</link>
		<description><![CDATA[My Northern Wisconsin - https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news]]></description>
		<pubDate>Mon, 17 Aug 2026 13:42:41 +0000</pubDate>
		<generator>MyBB</generator>
		<item>
			<title><![CDATA[PRENTICE:  HISTORY OF THE JUMP RIVER LUMBER COMPANY]]></title>
			<link>https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/thread-863.html</link>
			<pubDate>Fri, 31 Jul 2026 22:37:47 +0000</pubDate>
			<dc:creator><![CDATA[<a href="https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/member.php?action=profile&uid=1">My Northern Wisconsin</a>]]></dc:creator>
			<guid isPermaLink="false">https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/thread-863.html</guid>
			<description><![CDATA[<!-- start: postbit_attachments_attachment -->
<br /><!-- start: attachment_icon -->
<img src="https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/images/attachtypes/image.png" title="JPG Image" border="0" alt=".jpg" style="vertical-align: sub;" />
<!-- end: attachment_icon -->&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="attachment.php?aid=1370" target="_blank" title="">Prentice History Walk 2 Photo.jpg</a> (Size: 41.77 KB / Downloads: 624)
<!-- end: postbit_attachments_attachment --><br />
<span style="font-style: italic;" class="mycode_i">Jump River Lumber Company Sawmill, Prentice, 1882</span><br />
 <br />
Into this rich forest land of north central Wisconsin, in the spring of 1881, came an elderly Scotchman. His name was Alexander Prentice, and he was accompanied by a George Greenman.  The two had journeyed from Portage to make a survey of the timber in this area and, if possible, to find a good location for a mill. They found it right by the Jump River where it was crossed by the Wisconsin Central Railroad.<br />
 <br />
Enthused by the promising aspects of their survey, they traveled back to Portage to make plans and to interest a number of their friends in a sawmill venture.  Early in the fall, they returned to put dreams into action.<br />
<br />
Activities began on September 1, 1881, when George Greenman felled the first tree in that eight mile square of timberland along the Wisconsin Central. That night, the two men slept in a tent they had pitched in the vicinity of the present oil tanks.<br />
 <br />
They were soon joined by a group of men from Portage.  Oscar Derrick Van Dusen, who was already involved with a lumbering operation in Dorchester, was the first one on the scene.  Workmen, too, arrived with more tents and lumber for necessary buildings.  The old Scotchman viewed the tents with distaste.  One night in one of those things was enough.  Bunk houses held no appeal for him, either.  He preferred a comfortable bed in which to sleep and home-cooked meals.  With that in mind, he walked along the track as far as Worcester "101." There, he contacted the newly arrived Carl Hjorts and asked for board and lodging.  His request was granted.  So, for a little time, he made his home with them.  He walked to the mill and back each day. Occasionally, he would ride along with the section crew.<br />
 <br />
In the spring of 1882, the new lumber company was organized and incorporated under the name of the Jump River Lumber Company.  Officers named were O.D. Van Dusen, president; F. H. Lewis, vice president; M. T. Alverson, secretary and treasurer; and C. R. Gallett, superintendent.  Although Mr. Prentice did not assume any office, he was recognized as the senior advisor and leader.<br />
 <br />
Work on a sawmill began immediately.  By September 1, the mill was in operation with a capacity of 50,000 feet of lumber per day and later increased to 100,000 feet daily. A large planing mill, as well as a drying shed, were completed in 1894.<br />
 <br />
In the spring of 1889, the company purchased what was known as the Ward Tract (La Font) and located about four and a half miles or so southeast of the mill town.  That summer, a railroad spur was built into that wealth of timber.  Throughout the year, the mill ran both day and night.  About 450 men were employed.  In the spring of 1884, the company ceased operations, and the mill was operated only a few months each summer by O. D. Van Dusen. <br />
<br />
in the early '90s, a number of other enterprises were established in Prentice.  One was a heading mill owned by Mr. C. T. Fox and employed 25 men.  This operation lasted only a few years, and the owner returned to his home in Columbus, Ohio.  A stave mill was also started but did not continue long.<br />
 <br />
The enterprising Jump River Lumber Company attracted so much attention that the Chicago Lumber Journal gave it this publicity:<br />
 <br />
"Their sawmill is located about one-half mile from the railroad crossing on the east side of the Wisconsin Central Line.  It is the most excellent affair and deserves a description.  The main part of this mill stands north and south and is 70 by 100 feet in size.  On the east side of this main building are two smaller buildings, one 30 by 40, the other 20 by 20.  The mill contains two band saws, one which is manufactured by the Edwin Allis Company, Milwaukee.  The trimmer was made by McDonough Bros., Eau Claire; the edger and slab slasher by DeGroat, Giddings and Lewis,  Fond du Lac.  The lath is a McDonough, and the shingle mill was made by the Geo. Challoner's Sons, Oshkosh.<br />
 <br />
The shingle machine is one of double variety.  The power is furnished by five boilers.  There is no refuse burner here, but what is better, the offal is run out across a pond and burned where there is no possible chance of it getting to the mill.<br />
<br />
The planing mill, located at a convenient distance south of the mill, stands in the same general direction as the sawmill and is 50 by 120 ft in size.<br />
 <br />
It contains improved surfaces; a 28-inch surfacer; one Hoyt & Bros. 15-inch surfacer; one 26-inch surfacer; one moulding machine, one rift saw, one cut-off saw. The engine, which runs the planing mill, is 12 x 32 inches in size, and the power is furnished by two tubular boilers.<br />
 <br />
When the mill was first built in 1882, an 8 foot dam was put in the Jump River and logs were boomed in that way.  Some of the finest logs ever lumbered in the state were taken from the river and the supply is not yet exhausted.<br />
 <br />
In the last two years, the mail has been largely logged by means of a railroad built six miles to the southeast.  The road is of standard gauge, built of 40-pound steel and is furnished with one engine and 30 cars.  At the present terminus, a dam has been built across the malden twenty feet high.  The back water resultant from this dam building has made a pond, which at one time this season held 12 million feet of logs.<br />
 <br />
The company also has logging privileges on the Soo Road and buys a great many logs, which are brought in over that line, which takes such good care of its sawmill friends."<br />
<br />
Reprinted from the Prentice History Walk with encouragement from Dale Heikkinen<br />
<br />
<!-- start: postbit_attachments_attachment -->
<br /><!-- start: attachment_icon -->
<img src="https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/images/attachtypes/image.png" title="JPG Image" border="0" alt=".jpg" style="vertical-align: sub;" />
<!-- end: attachment_icon -->&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="attachment.php?aid=1371" target="_blank" title="">2-History of Prentice.jpg</a> (Size: 312.09 KB / Downloads: 144)
<!-- end: postbit_attachments_attachment --><br />
<br />
<span style="font-style: italic;" class="mycode_i">This marker is #2 on the History Walk Map.</span>]]></description>
			<content:encoded><![CDATA[<!-- start: postbit_attachments_attachment -->
<br /><!-- start: attachment_icon -->
<img src="https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/images/attachtypes/image.png" title="JPG Image" border="0" alt=".jpg" style="vertical-align: sub;" />
<!-- end: attachment_icon -->&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="attachment.php?aid=1370" target="_blank" title="">Prentice History Walk 2 Photo.jpg</a> (Size: 41.77 KB / Downloads: 624)
<!-- end: postbit_attachments_attachment --><br />
<span style="font-style: italic;" class="mycode_i">Jump River Lumber Company Sawmill, Prentice, 1882</span><br />
 <br />
Into this rich forest land of north central Wisconsin, in the spring of 1881, came an elderly Scotchman. His name was Alexander Prentice, and he was accompanied by a George Greenman.  The two had journeyed from Portage to make a survey of the timber in this area and, if possible, to find a good location for a mill. They found it right by the Jump River where it was crossed by the Wisconsin Central Railroad.<br />
 <br />
Enthused by the promising aspects of their survey, they traveled back to Portage to make plans and to interest a number of their friends in a sawmill venture.  Early in the fall, they returned to put dreams into action.<br />
<br />
Activities began on September 1, 1881, when George Greenman felled the first tree in that eight mile square of timberland along the Wisconsin Central. That night, the two men slept in a tent they had pitched in the vicinity of the present oil tanks.<br />
 <br />
They were soon joined by a group of men from Portage.  Oscar Derrick Van Dusen, who was already involved with a lumbering operation in Dorchester, was the first one on the scene.  Workmen, too, arrived with more tents and lumber for necessary buildings.  The old Scotchman viewed the tents with distaste.  One night in one of those things was enough.  Bunk houses held no appeal for him, either.  He preferred a comfortable bed in which to sleep and home-cooked meals.  With that in mind, he walked along the track as far as Worcester "101." There, he contacted the newly arrived Carl Hjorts and asked for board and lodging.  His request was granted.  So, for a little time, he made his home with them.  He walked to the mill and back each day. Occasionally, he would ride along with the section crew.<br />
 <br />
In the spring of 1882, the new lumber company was organized and incorporated under the name of the Jump River Lumber Company.  Officers named were O.D. Van Dusen, president; F. H. Lewis, vice president; M. T. Alverson, secretary and treasurer; and C. R. Gallett, superintendent.  Although Mr. Prentice did not assume any office, he was recognized as the senior advisor and leader.<br />
 <br />
Work on a sawmill began immediately.  By September 1, the mill was in operation with a capacity of 50,000 feet of lumber per day and later increased to 100,000 feet daily. A large planing mill, as well as a drying shed, were completed in 1894.<br />
 <br />
In the spring of 1889, the company purchased what was known as the Ward Tract (La Font) and located about four and a half miles or so southeast of the mill town.  That summer, a railroad spur was built into that wealth of timber.  Throughout the year, the mill ran both day and night.  About 450 men were employed.  In the spring of 1884, the company ceased operations, and the mill was operated only a few months each summer by O. D. Van Dusen. <br />
<br />
in the early '90s, a number of other enterprises were established in Prentice.  One was a heading mill owned by Mr. C. T. Fox and employed 25 men.  This operation lasted only a few years, and the owner returned to his home in Columbus, Ohio.  A stave mill was also started but did not continue long.<br />
 <br />
The enterprising Jump River Lumber Company attracted so much attention that the Chicago Lumber Journal gave it this publicity:<br />
 <br />
"Their sawmill is located about one-half mile from the railroad crossing on the east side of the Wisconsin Central Line.  It is the most excellent affair and deserves a description.  The main part of this mill stands north and south and is 70 by 100 feet in size.  On the east side of this main building are two smaller buildings, one 30 by 40, the other 20 by 20.  The mill contains two band saws, one which is manufactured by the Edwin Allis Company, Milwaukee.  The trimmer was made by McDonough Bros., Eau Claire; the edger and slab slasher by DeGroat, Giddings and Lewis,  Fond du Lac.  The lath is a McDonough, and the shingle mill was made by the Geo. Challoner's Sons, Oshkosh.<br />
 <br />
The shingle machine is one of double variety.  The power is furnished by five boilers.  There is no refuse burner here, but what is better, the offal is run out across a pond and burned where there is no possible chance of it getting to the mill.<br />
<br />
The planing mill, located at a convenient distance south of the mill, stands in the same general direction as the sawmill and is 50 by 120 ft in size.<br />
 <br />
It contains improved surfaces; a 28-inch surfacer; one Hoyt & Bros. 15-inch surfacer; one 26-inch surfacer; one moulding machine, one rift saw, one cut-off saw. The engine, which runs the planing mill, is 12 x 32 inches in size, and the power is furnished by two tubular boilers.<br />
 <br />
When the mill was first built in 1882, an 8 foot dam was put in the Jump River and logs were boomed in that way.  Some of the finest logs ever lumbered in the state were taken from the river and the supply is not yet exhausted.<br />
 <br />
In the last two years, the mail has been largely logged by means of a railroad built six miles to the southeast.  The road is of standard gauge, built of 40-pound steel and is furnished with one engine and 30 cars.  At the present terminus, a dam has been built across the malden twenty feet high.  The back water resultant from this dam building has made a pond, which at one time this season held 12 million feet of logs.<br />
 <br />
The company also has logging privileges on the Soo Road and buys a great many logs, which are brought in over that line, which takes such good care of its sawmill friends."<br />
<br />
Reprinted from the Prentice History Walk with encouragement from Dale Heikkinen<br />
<br />
<!-- start: postbit_attachments_attachment -->
<br /><!-- start: attachment_icon -->
<img src="https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/images/attachtypes/image.png" title="JPG Image" border="0" alt=".jpg" style="vertical-align: sub;" />
<!-- end: attachment_icon -->&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="attachment.php?aid=1371" target="_blank" title="">2-History of Prentice.jpg</a> (Size: 312.09 KB / Downloads: 144)
<!-- end: postbit_attachments_attachment --><br />
<br />
<span style="font-style: italic;" class="mycode_i">This marker is #2 on the History Walk Map.</span>]]></content:encoded>
		</item>
		<item>
			<title><![CDATA[HISTORY OF PRENTICE, 1873 TO 1881]]></title>
			<link>https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/thread-641.html</link>
			<pubDate>Sun, 13 Apr 2025 09:14:15 +0000</pubDate>
			<dc:creator><![CDATA[<a href="https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/member.php?action=profile&uid=1">My Northern Wisconsin</a>]]></dc:creator>
			<guid isPermaLink="false">https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/thread-641.html</guid>
			<description><![CDATA[<!-- start: postbit_attachments_attachment -->
<br /><!-- start: attachment_icon -->
<img src="https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/images/attachtypes/image.png" title="JPG Image" border="0" alt=".jpg" style="vertical-align: sub;" />
<!-- end: attachment_icon -->&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="attachment.php?aid=1069" target="_blank" title="">1-Prentice, Wooden Trestle .jpg</a> (Size: 54.55 KB / Downloads: 805)
<!-- end: postbit_attachments_attachment --><br />
<span style="font-style: italic;" class="mycode_i">Wisconsin Central Railroad wooden trestle and sawmill log dam on the Jump River</span><br />
<br />
A little over a century ago, the government granted the Wisconsin Central Railroad a 20-mile-wide strip of every odd-numbered section of land between Stevens Point and Ashland.  It was priced at &#36;1.25 an acre and was to be used for a railroad connecting the northern and southern sections of the state. Except for its wealth of standing virgin pine, land in northern Wisconsin was considered worthless.  Still, the government raised the price of the remaining land to &#36;2.50 per acre. <br />
<br />
The Wisconsin Central had built a railroad from Menasha to Stevens Point, but its ultimate aim was to complete the line to Superior, where the Great Lakes played such an important role in the transportation of ore.<br />
<br />
In 1872, work on the proposed railroad began and rails were laid from Stevens Point to Colby.  In 1873, they were extended to Worcester, a distance of 101 miles from Stevens Point.  Work on the railroad extending south from Ashland had begun but was temporarily brought to a stand-still by the panic of 1873.  It was completed in 1876.<br />
<br />
Mr. Sackett, in his History of Price County, writes about the laying of the rails, "Sixty-three miles in all, running from Menasha to Stevens point, being completed in one-hundred twenty days with the aid of 2,000 men, 600 horses, 100 yokes of oxen."<br />
<br />
The tracks were made of wood with only a steel railing in the center and often secured with wooden pegs.  But wooden or otherwise, they were a boom to progress and an instrumental factor in the formation of new settlements.  Later they brought an influx of European immigrants, in the Prentice area mainly Germans and Scandinavians, also French Canadians.  Many of these people took advantage of the Homestead Act, acquired a parcel of land, built a log cabin, cleared enough land for a garden, bought a cow or hog plus a few chickens, and somehow or other managed to eke out a living.  Others, with a mind for business, established boarding houses.  The railroad also brought in loggers to whom the rich woodlands spilled opportunity.<br />
<br />
There were difficulties.  Tree stumps presented problems in the clearing of land.  Removal had to be accomplished entirely by horsepower, a laborious process.  Then, around the turn of the century, a powerful substance called dynamite came into being and was made available for use.  It was a mixture of nitroglycerin soaked in some absorbent, such as wood pulp or sodium nitrate.  It was first produced by Alfred Noble in 1867.  Dynamite usage in the clearing of land for farms, roads, and railways was a gigantic step forward.<br />
<br />
For a time, the Wisconsin Central Railroad terminal, generally known as "101," was a lively little town.  It had received its official name of Worcester from a city in Massachusetts.  There were high expectations that "101," too, would someday become a city.  There were mills and work for more mills as dense woodland separated Worcester from its nearest neighbor to the south, Ogema, in 1875.  This almost impenetrable wilderness was broken only by the rails of the Wisconsin Central. <br />
<br />
Reprinted from the Prentice History Walk with encouragement from Dale Heikkinen<br />
<br />
<!-- start: postbit_attachments_attachment -->
<br /><!-- start: attachment_icon -->
<img src="https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/images/attachtypes/image.png" title="JPG Image" border="0" alt=".jpg" style="vertical-align: sub;" />
<!-- end: attachment_icon -->&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="attachment.php?aid=1068" target="_blank" title="">1-History of Prentice.jpg</a> (Size: 332.63 KB / Downloads: 802)
<!-- end: postbit_attachments_attachment --><br />
<span style="font-style: italic;" class="mycode_i">This marker is #1 on the History Walk Map.</span>]]></description>
			<content:encoded><![CDATA[<!-- start: postbit_attachments_attachment -->
<br /><!-- start: attachment_icon -->
<img src="https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/images/attachtypes/image.png" title="JPG Image" border="0" alt=".jpg" style="vertical-align: sub;" />
<!-- end: attachment_icon -->&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="attachment.php?aid=1069" target="_blank" title="">1-Prentice, Wooden Trestle .jpg</a> (Size: 54.55 KB / Downloads: 805)
<!-- end: postbit_attachments_attachment --><br />
<span style="font-style: italic;" class="mycode_i">Wisconsin Central Railroad wooden trestle and sawmill log dam on the Jump River</span><br />
<br />
A little over a century ago, the government granted the Wisconsin Central Railroad a 20-mile-wide strip of every odd-numbered section of land between Stevens Point and Ashland.  It was priced at &#36;1.25 an acre and was to be used for a railroad connecting the northern and southern sections of the state. Except for its wealth of standing virgin pine, land in northern Wisconsin was considered worthless.  Still, the government raised the price of the remaining land to &#36;2.50 per acre. <br />
<br />
The Wisconsin Central had built a railroad from Menasha to Stevens Point, but its ultimate aim was to complete the line to Superior, where the Great Lakes played such an important role in the transportation of ore.<br />
<br />
In 1872, work on the proposed railroad began and rails were laid from Stevens Point to Colby.  In 1873, they were extended to Worcester, a distance of 101 miles from Stevens Point.  Work on the railroad extending south from Ashland had begun but was temporarily brought to a stand-still by the panic of 1873.  It was completed in 1876.<br />
<br />
Mr. Sackett, in his History of Price County, writes about the laying of the rails, "Sixty-three miles in all, running from Menasha to Stevens point, being completed in one-hundred twenty days with the aid of 2,000 men, 600 horses, 100 yokes of oxen."<br />
<br />
The tracks were made of wood with only a steel railing in the center and often secured with wooden pegs.  But wooden or otherwise, they were a boom to progress and an instrumental factor in the formation of new settlements.  Later they brought an influx of European immigrants, in the Prentice area mainly Germans and Scandinavians, also French Canadians.  Many of these people took advantage of the Homestead Act, acquired a parcel of land, built a log cabin, cleared enough land for a garden, bought a cow or hog plus a few chickens, and somehow or other managed to eke out a living.  Others, with a mind for business, established boarding houses.  The railroad also brought in loggers to whom the rich woodlands spilled opportunity.<br />
<br />
There were difficulties.  Tree stumps presented problems in the clearing of land.  Removal had to be accomplished entirely by horsepower, a laborious process.  Then, around the turn of the century, a powerful substance called dynamite came into being and was made available for use.  It was a mixture of nitroglycerin soaked in some absorbent, such as wood pulp or sodium nitrate.  It was first produced by Alfred Noble in 1867.  Dynamite usage in the clearing of land for farms, roads, and railways was a gigantic step forward.<br />
<br />
For a time, the Wisconsin Central Railroad terminal, generally known as "101," was a lively little town.  It had received its official name of Worcester from a city in Massachusetts.  There were high expectations that "101," too, would someday become a city.  There were mills and work for more mills as dense woodland separated Worcester from its nearest neighbor to the south, Ogema, in 1875.  This almost impenetrable wilderness was broken only by the rails of the Wisconsin Central. <br />
<br />
Reprinted from the Prentice History Walk with encouragement from Dale Heikkinen<br />
<br />
<!-- start: postbit_attachments_attachment -->
<br /><!-- start: attachment_icon -->
<img src="https://www.mynorthernwisconsin.com/news/images/attachtypes/image.png" title="JPG Image" border="0" alt=".jpg" style="vertical-align: sub;" />
<!-- end: attachment_icon -->&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="attachment.php?aid=1068" target="_blank" title="">1-History of Prentice.jpg</a> (Size: 332.63 KB / Downloads: 802)
<!-- end: postbit_attachments_attachment --><br />
<span style="font-style: italic;" class="mycode_i">This marker is #1 on the History Walk Map.</span>]]></content:encoded>
		</item>
	</channel>
</rss>