My Northern Wisconsin

Covering Ashland, Iron, Lincoln, Oneida, Price, Rusk, Sawyer, Taylor, and Vilas Counties


According to the DNR, as of 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, November 26, 2023, "Sales for gun, bow, crossbow, sports, and conservation patron licenses reached 788,697.  Of that total, 434,817 were for gun privileges only.  Year-to-date sales for all deer licenses are down 0.8% compared to last year.

"This year, hunters from all 50 states and 27 countries purchased a Wisconsin hunting license.

"Of the licenses sold to date, 66% were purchased online.  The remaining 34% were sold in person through transactions at DNR license sale locations."

Regarding a preliminary look at harvest totals, the DNR said, "Hunters registered 173,942 deer during the 2023 gun deer season, including 85,390 antlered and 88,552 antlerless deer.  Compared to 2022, the total firearm deer harvest was down 17.6% statewide, with the antlered harvest down 14.7% and the antlerless harvest down 20.3%.

"Since the opening of the bow and crossbow seasons, hunters have registered 266,132 statewide so far this year.

(Article continues after promotional message)
[Image: birchlandrealty.jpg]
Looking for hunting land?  Birchland Realty specializes in commercial, residential, recreational, and vacant land real estate.  Visit Birchland Realty's website to find your new property.

"Adams County in the Central Farmland Zone led the state with 9.7 deer registered per square mile.  Adams County also led the Central Forest Zone with 3.5 deer per square mile.  Vernon County led the Southern Farmland Zone with 6.7 deer registered per square mile.  Taylor County registered the most deer per square mile, 2.7, in the Northern Forest Zone."

Totals for the area My Northern Wisconsin covers can be seen in the following chart:

Image by:  Wisconsin DNR

The DNR reported three firearm-involved hunting incidents during the 2023 gun deer season.  This is down from eight incidents last season.  One incident was in Taylor County in Rib Lake Township.  A 30-year-old man was the victim of a gunshot to his upper thigh on November 24, 2023.  According to the DNR, "During the end of a deer drive, a 35-year-old male shooter shot at a deer, striking the victim.  The victim received medical treatment at a hospital."  There were no fatalities this year.

You can share this article on Facebook from this link.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2023, 01:52 PM by My Northern Wisconsin.)