My Northern Wisconsin

Covering Ashland, Iron, Lincoln, Oneida, Price, Rusk, Sawyer, Taylor, and Vilas Counties

LOGGERS BASKETBALL TEAM SCORES BIG WIN

Contributed By:  Steve Teeters

It was a massive performance Monday night for the Phillips Loggers boys' hoops team as they defeated the Washburn Castle Guards, 75-64.

Photo by:  Angie Revak Zajechowski

This was definitely one of the better games I've watched this Loggers team play.  It should be noted that they really controlled this game from start to finish against a very strong Washburn team that came into action tonight with a 13-4 record.  Washburn's only losses came against last year's Division 5 state qualifier Hurley (14-4) and Solon Springs (18-1), which is currently ranked 7th in Division 5. 

Photo by:  Angie Revak Zajechowski

Washburn had strong shooting and one very physical post player.  It didn't matter though, because Phillips played excellent all around.  The offense was very balanced and featured some very strong shooting, especially from freshman point guard JJ Heikkinen.  Nate Belan was his usually dominant self, scoring all over the court while being a beast on the glass.  Several others contributed on the offensive end tonight, as well. 

The theme of the game seemed to be a Loggers offense that played very loose yet composed.  This team has good shooters and it certainly showed tonight.  The team played with fire and energy that fueled the victory.  Phillips improves to 5-14 on the year.  But if this game proves anything, it's not how you start; it's how you finish.  There's plenty of reason to be excited as the regular season winds down and as we look to the future.

And there is definitely reason to make it to the school tonight, Tuesday, February 7, 2023, as the Lady Loggers basketball team squares off against the rival Athens Bluejays for the Marawood North conference championship.  Let's pack the gym and watch the girls bring it home!

SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES - SHOP PRICE COUNTY FIRST

Ken's Carpet & The Consignment Store sells all flooring types (carpet, vinyl, wood, & ceramic), bedding / mattresses, appliances, solar systems, and consignment sales of furniture, automobiles, farming & logging equipment, ATVs, UTVs, trailers, and campers.  Call 715-339-4838 for product inquiries, and follow Ken's Carpet & The Consignment Store's Facebook page.

---

Want to see more free news stories, events, help wanted ads, and more?  "Like" the My Price County Facebook page and the My Northern Wisconsin Facebook page.  You can also register to see free news in Price County and beyond.  To sign up to receive our FREE "News Highlights" e-mail, send your e-mail address with "Subscribe" in the subject line to contact@mypricecounty.com  Your privacy is important to us.  We never give away or sell your e-mail address.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2023, 03:55 AM by My Northern Wisconsin.)