My Northern Wisconsin

Covering Ashland, Iron, Lincoln, Oneida, Price, Rusk, Sawyer, Taylor, and Vilas Counties

BROADBAND INFRASTRUCTURE PROGRAM RECEIVES 124 APPLICATIONS REQUESTING $221 MILLION

The Wisconsin Broadband Office received 124 applications requesting $221.6 million for the Broadband Infrastructure Grant Program.

In the northwoods area that My Northern Wisconsin covers, there were eight applications, including Norvado in Ashland County; Frontier Communications in Lincoln County; Mosaic Technologies, Norvado (covering two areas), and Spectrum in Sawyer County; Bug Tussel in Taylor County; and SonicNet in Vilas County.  Grant recipients will be announced by Spring 2024.

"The Public Service Commission (PSC) is expected to award up to $42 million under the American Rescue Plan Act’s Capital Projects Fund (CPF) to administer Broadband Infrastructure Grants and invest in broadband construction and deployment that will provide high-quality Internet to locations that lack access to adequate, affordable service.  The ratio of requested funding to available funding is the highest for any grant round since the first in 2014," according to the office of Governor Tony Evers.

“The Broadband Infrastructure Grant Program will help build upon our progress to connect over 395,000 homes and businesses to new or improved high-speed internet by helping close the digital divide in communities that have long struggled with inadequate service,” Governor Evers stated.  “That said, clearly, the need far outweighs the resources available, and we must keep making meaningful state investments to prioritize and invest in the robust broadband infrastructure needed to meet our state’s 21st-century needs.”

[Image: bbr.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2023, 06:19 PM by My Northern Wisconsin.)